HL15 Max CPU Cooler Height

I was about to order that one, but then saw the BF deal on the be quiet lol

2 Likes

I can tell you that the Noctua NH-U12A at 158mm is about 5mm too tall.

2 Likes

About the same with the NH-D15. I am looking for a passive HS for my aging X11-SCH given how great the airflow is.

At microcenter, picking up a u12s, it will be close, fingers crossed
EDIT: It fits! now the real question is do i just go fanless on the cpu cooler as hopefully the fans of the case will bring enough air flow, or do i keep the fan…

Do you have much clearance? with the short unit?

Yes, I have clearance

2 Likes

That looks pretty dang close, I’ll probably go with that cooler,

1 Like

I’d keep the fan personally. Why remove it other than to save a few watts?

ARCTIC Freezer 4U SP3 fits

3 Likes

Most of the coolers I see on here that are tested to fit are for the Xeons, I’m using a 1700 socket with an i9-14900k due to needing more power for video work encoding, game servers, etc, and wanting iGPU for media server.

What is confusing i have seen several posts that 158mm is too tall, and some saying it fits, and then 160mm being stated by 45-Drives. I can assume some variance in boards (thicker PCB), or socket height differences must be causing the range being reported. Very interesting that 3 of these are the same height and 1 of them are posted as fitting, another posted as not.

1 Like

The NH-U12A doesn’t quite fit, but I can put the cover on without any force. Asus z790 Pro Art with a 13900k, so it should be the same height for you. I am going to try it out and see how it holds up. I don’t foresee any problems, but technically it doesn’t fit.

3 Likes

I ordered the DH-U9S Chromax and the DH-D12L. Will likely just return the U9S despite i feel the black is cooler looking in a case where i would never see it. I wonder how are your temps with a 13900K will be. I havent even seen my HL15 yet as it arrived 2hours after I left on my trip, so you will be up and running before me for sure.

I wanted to go 14900 non K for that 65Watt TDP, but the k is like $70 cheaper for me despite being more powerful. I wanted highest core count I could for VMs, services, and video encoding.I also am going with 2x48gb DDR5 sticks vs 4x32 or 4x48 for now. the motherboard i picked up has 3 total x16 PCIe, and 1 x4 slot, so i have some growth room. all that is going to make tons more heat than the stock HL-15 full build.

So i have my HL15 up and running. I used the NH-D12L, on that i9-14900K and I’m only running around 50*C. It cleared just fine.

Overall it’s quieter that I expected, only 60db of sound at the face of the HL-15, while this might be loud for some, I don’t hear it much. This is with all stock fans, plus the CPU cooler, and a 60mm Noctua ram cooler.

Nice, how do you have the ram cooler setup? Did you Noctua mod one of the corsair units?

Motherboard came with a bracket, not sure if its doing alot because it cross winds the case fans. but maybe I’ll try unplugging in and watch.

The Noctua NH-D12L fits perfectly, and if space allows you can add a 2nd fan up front. I couldn’t due to my MB and memory I chose.

That black Noctua fan looks so sweet, i have it another pc I have. It was a must buy for me

has anyone put a AIO on this case? I have a Noctua NH-D15 | Premium CPU Cooler | with 2x NF-A15 PWM 140mm Fans | I am going to try to install this weekend. I will post pictures

1 Like

I have a i9-14900k and I don’t think any air cooler is going to cut it, especially one that fits in the case. I definitely want to hear how the AIO install goes for you, because if it works then I will be following your lead!

I have the i9-12900K CPU Compare diff cpu

added the NH-D15 chromax.black ( NH-D15 [chromax] ) and it DOES NOT FIT!!! THE back fan is to high with the ram and on the other side the motherboard cooler doesnt let the fan sit closer to the bottom. This is my hardware specs…

ASUS Z790-V Prime WiFi Intel LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard

Intel Core i9-12900K Alder Lake 3.2GHz Sixteen-Core LGA 1700 Boxed Processor - Heatsink Not Included

G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-6000 PC5-48000 CL36 Dual Channel Desktop Mem

Cooler

System is kick ass and is cool at 33c with this cooler! amazing work on the cooler and i change all the fans to noctua fans so its quiet and great cooling but the case doesn’t close