8-bay server discussion

@Vikram-45HomeLabs

Sorry to bother you again. Has there been any further progress on this?

based on past offerings, you are likely looking at at least a few months wait.

That is what I was very afraid of.

I think I’m going to try to build a server myself. My problem is part availability and costs as I am in Canada.

Well if this fits what you want, i would say its likely worth the wait. Not sure on the hardware yet, but it is looking promising. You will also likely end up with a far better machine than a similar offering from Synology or QNAP, and likely equal or less price.

I am going to wait for the 45HomeLab build. It’s not worth the DIY route.

I tried to make some custom builds but they would be inferior to with 45HomeLab will build.

Pre orders are available on the store front!

Also check out the review Craft Computing did. The system looks awesome. Definitely worth the wait. Nice work!

Looking into it right now. Thank you so much for the heads up!

EDIT: @Vikram-45HomeLabs Thanks for putting out this product! Can you run your own OS on it (unRAID?) How good is the Plex performance?

So I have a few questions re HL8;

1. Are there any case fans? I see some vents at the back but there don’t seem to be any fans and I’m not sure what ventilation is at the front with the plexiglass or tempered glass.
  2. Does the backplane (I’m just referring specifically to the backplane) support SAS drives? Does it have the SFF-8643 connectors like the HL15? I understand the full build would be limited to SATA drives based on the mobo specs and m.2 to SATA adapter, but would a custom build with an HBA be able to access SAS drives in the bays? The information conflicts a bit between what Craft Computing said and is on the product page.
  3. Can the case be placed either horizontally or vertically like the HL15 or only horizontally?

There is an error on the product page; the “HL8 - Chassis, Backplane & PSU (Deposit)” description mentions a 750W ATX PSU.

1 Like

One thing to note is on the order page, it states a 128GB RAM option.

I don’t think that is correct.

It’s a computer, you can run any OS you want on it. AMD CPUs don’t have the QuickSync technology for hardware transcoding, so it won’t perform as well in Plex as an Intel CPU with QuickSync. Transcoding will be CPU bound unless you add a GPU to the PCIe slot. That may or may not be a problem depending on your overall workload.

1 Like

One reason I ask is 45HomeLab puts their own OS on the SSD and I would be blowing it away to use it as cache with unRAID instead.

1. Yes case fan in rear of chassis. There are changes currently underway in the design since the prototype unit Jeff received. More info coming.

2. Backplane does support SATA/SAS. It is the same backplane design that is in the HL15 and it uses the same 8643 connectors. Correct full build with these specs is SATA only, as the controllers are SATA only. Also correct custom build with an HBA or a motherboard with an onboard controller that supports SAS drives will work

3. Only Horrizinaly

We are going to look into the product page issue and resolve it ASAP

Hi! Quick question:

The OS provided with the build is on the SSD, correct?

Is there a recovery image at all for this? I want to use unRAID with my HL8 which requires erasing the SSD but wanted to make sure the option is still open.

From what I have seen in these forums, there is no recovery image and installing the OS from scratch to mimic the OEM build-out isn’t particularly intuitive (there may or may not be a KB article and it may or may not have some errors).

If it were me, I’d order the system with the smallest SSD and buy a separate small SSD to install Unraid to. A 128GB should only cost USD $15-20. Physically remove the included SSD as the backup/recovery image and replace it with the new SSD to install Unraid to.

1 Like

@Hutch-45Drives Is it true that there isn’t a recovery image available for the HL8?

I think we are getting our wires crossed.

unRAID runs off an USB key. This way every drive in a machine can be used to its full potential.

The SSD with the machine would be used as cache for data and moved to the array later. It would have to be erased to use it.

I hope this explains things more clearly.

Whether you use it for cache or the OS doesn’t change my suggestion. Alternately, you can create a recovery image yourself with something like Clonezilla.

I would also recommend cloning it or swapping out the SSD like digital garden said. M.2 are cheap now

I sent 45HomeLab an email to make sure I am correct, that there is no recovery images.

Well I’m sure it’s going to be same OS as the HL-15, I think there is a post on here with links to rocky Linux and Houston with install instructions