The HL15 2.0 looks pretty stout. Only thing it seams lacking is a redundant PSU. I found “FSP Twins Pro 900w”. Is this PSU compatible with the HL15 or is there a conversion harness needed to power the backplate. TIA
Wendell/Level1Techs has a video where he says it should work, but I’m not sure he actually did that build. There aren’t any special brackets needed, it’ll screw in as a normal ATX PSU. But, the two questions I wold have would be;
- Length. The PSU is stated to be 190mm. The chassis has a power distribution board at 200 mm, It’s possible that the cabling and plugs of the PSU and PDB will interfere with each other. The modular version might be better here than the captive bundle of wires version.
- PATA Connections. Based on what I could find, the PSU has one cable from the PSU with two 4-pin molex daisy chained on it. You are effectively running all your drives over one 12V cable. If you have more than about eight drives, that’s probably out of spec for the amount of amps the wiring guage used is supposed to carry. I don’t know what wire guage they use, but those connectors are intended to power one peripheral, not 15. An ideal/full build setup is to have four separate molex from the PSU to the PDB, giving about 4 drives per connection. That’s the “engineering design margin” typically built into electrical systems. That can be pushed a bit since the peak load only occurs briefly at startup, and you probably aren’t running the most power hungry enterprise drives, but I think the minimum recommended would be two separately wired molex connections from the PSU to the PDB.
Wendell’s a smart guy, so my concerns might be unfounded, but that’s what I would want clarification on if I wasn’t able to return the product.