Questions about how this works

If i order the $2K full build is this ready to go out of the box? what cpu does it come with? and is there anything i need to buy other than hard drives? i am planning on running plex (about 8 users 3 on at most at the same time) and nextcloud on unraid will this server be able to handle that?

Hey @dan

We’ve updated our website to include the specs in question. You can find them here:
https://store.45homelab.com/configure/hl15

The CPU is an Intel Xeon Bronze 3204, 6 Core 1.9 (Base) / 1.9 (Turbo) GHz.

Depending on the option you choose, you may be prompted to select other items as part of your configuration. Our team is also working on an e-store, which will include the options to buy items such as hard drives, should you wish to purchase them from us. We will send an update to the forum once the e-store is live.

With regard to your other questions, our case study on Plex may be helpful. You can find it here:

You can absolutely run NextCloud too. At the end of the day, it really comes down to your preference as to what you want to install, use and play around with. The open source community, including the one we’re building here, is an excellent resource to discuss all things homelab; hardware and software.

And, the HL15 hardware will certainly be able to support this.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for all your help. i am really impressed with the home lab product that you are building. this is affordable and i am looking forward to see what you do with this category

1 Like

2 other questions if i may ask.

1. can i run unraid on this as i already have a pro licence?
  2. i would need to add an nvida rtx 2080 as the cpu does not support quick sync. will there be enough room on the power supply to support this?

Hi @dan.

In response to your inquiry,

Any operating system may be installed and used on this system without restriction. The HL15 should work perfectly with your Pro license if you can use it again on a different system. I am not sure if this is possible.

I recommend upgrading the PSU if you plan to fill the HL15 with 15 spinning HDDs plus the GPU. In a startup, the system full of drivers can pull the following:

Idle (15x 16TB Seagate Exos HDD): 280W

Load (15x 16TB Seagate Exos HDD, random writes): 350W

Startup (15x 16TB Seagate Exos HDD): 510W

4 Likes

Just wanted to chime in RE: unRAID.

You absolutely can, there is nothing proprietary about the motherboard. In fact, the Supermicro boards are typically used in TrueNAS systems as well. They’re rather popular given the pricepoint.

Just something to be aware of though. unRAID’s “usual” use case is BTRFS, though recently they’ve implemented ZFS but I’ve yet to try it. BTRFS aggregates your drives in one big storage pool, with 1-2 drives as parity. However, unlike ZFS, you’ll only ever see speeds equal to the drive you’re currently consuming (reading or writing) as files are not striped across the pool like they would an array.

This isn’t meant to steer you away. In fact, I’ve personally recommended unRAID to a few buddies of mine, as their wants/needs are different than mine and they value flexible expansion over performance. It’s a popular choice with a large community! Moreso meant to give you a small tidbit of expectation so you aren’t finding yourself troubleshooting that you can’t achieve the same storage speeds that ZFS users will post.

Best of luck!

2 Likes

Hi thank you for your message and yes the preference is not as good as zfs but that’s ok as I write to a drive outside the array and then it moves it to the array later

I have been using unraid since 2017 and I really like it.