My new Build and 45 Lab build

Well I built my system this weekend, had 6 days off and I haven’t stopped doing things in my home. I spent the day building my case, then I installed HL15 in my rack.

I installed the following parts:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS Elite AX

G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000 (PC5 48000) Desktop Memory Model F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5RK

Seasonic FOCUS GX-850, 850W 80+ Gold, Full-Modular

2 x SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe Gen 4 Gaming M.2

Noctua NH-D12L, Low-Height Dual-Tower CPU Cooler (120mm, Brown) fits with room to spare

AMD Ryzen9 7900 12-Core, 24-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor

MCX312A-XCBT Mellanox Connectx-3 CX312A 2x 10GbE SFP+ Dual Port PCIe NIC

Installed 4 x 14tb from Serverparts, tested them last week and the results passed.

When I installed them, I was unable to open up disk management. I installed W10. On my other HL15, I will install TrueNas. I just need to move all the files I have on W10 to true NAS, didn’t want to lose over 140TB of info…

I reinstalled windows and this time I installed one hard drive at a time, when I got to my past one, I found the issue I was having, the HDD was formatted but not in NTFS, but in REFS, never seen that before, from what google said.

ReFS can automatically verify and repair file corruption without using Check Disk (CHKDSK), while NTFS cannot leave CHKDSK’s help. Because of this, compared with NTFS, ReSF is more flexible and can better protect the integrity and availability of data.

14 Likes

Excuse the mess, was working on this all day. I got a nut stripped and had to rip it out, took me a bit, plus my dogs kept asking me to go outside, I not stopping them, they just have to learn to open the sliding door. Three Dobies so they are smart. If dog can get a beer from the Fridge, they can open a door.

1 Like

That’s a hell of a homelab you got! Cool build and cool pictures!

3 Likes

are both HL-15 using the same motherboard and CPU?

No, I built one. The white case is a fully built and tested by HL15 45drives

Cool. The one your built is using Windows 10?

1 Like

Yes, I installed W10 on it

1 Like

Nice build!
I have the same CPU and motherboard. One unfortunate thing of note that I found out after buying this board, is that both of the lower 16x (chipset) physical slots run with only 1x of PCI-E 3.0 bandwidth.

I guess the 3, M.2 slots are hogging all of the PCI-E lanes.

1 Like

Looks beautiful. Thanks for the clearance images. It seems to me like the Noctua NH-D12L fits perfectly & is probably as big as you can go ±2mm. Do you think that’s accurate?

1 Like

Yes, fits perfectly. My old 4u case has the bigger Noctua 15 in black and that touches the top by a hair or misses. Cant really tell, dince the case closes fine. I just placed black electrical tape where the top pointy fins might touch havent had an isse at all.

But I would just go with the Noctua NH-D12L, no worries at all about toich the top of the cases.

1 Like

i need to get an ATX X670e board for the lanes, as i only have an EATX board…

1 Like

It’s a shame, I have a DH15 cromax black as well that I use in my Rosewill case that only just fits/scrapes the top panel. I would have love to carry it over to the HL15, but thanks to you, know I know it won’t fit. I’m definatly picking up a D12 chromax when they release next year. Thanks again.

Do you have some A/C (cooling) running on the back of the rack? Looks like a tube is running down?

1 Like

No cooling on the Storage rack, these system blow more air than my ceiling fan on high. What your seeing is a black corrugating tub covering my network and camera cables. I have some mesh covering I’m going to install, once my wrist gets better

My audio rack has 4 ac infinity fans in front and one in the back. The rack has 2 140mm fans blowing up

1 Like

AC Infinity = :black_heart: :black_heart: :black_heart: :black_heart:

I love their stuff. Their rack nuts are my favorite as they’re easily pliable and don’t destroy my hands. I bought one of their little USB 120mm fans with the inline 3 speed controller for my OPNsense “fanless” Protectli Vault. Poor thing is getting all hot and bothered running Crowdsec, Suricata, and Wireguard amongst it’s many other duties, so that little fan really helped a lot and it no longer thermal throttles.

The audio rack looks great! It’s something I rarely see nowadays as everything has gone discrete and fits on a bookshelf.

2 Likes