How do I make the expansion slot of 4 m.2 ssds to be a speed boost for data on my h15?

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has done this on their hl15. I have about 200 TB on my machine (not including the 4 m.2 4TB SSD 990s) and I waswondering how to configure my machine to make the 4TB into a RAID 0 configuration to make a speed boost for data if someone wanted to work off the HL15 and use those 16TB of storage to edit live video from then it get saved to the big 200TB part of my machine when they are done using the project.

My thoughts were setting up the SSDs in Raid 0 and having a 16TB spot on the server called “Live Projects” where people can work directly from without having to have the data on their machine, then when they are done, then they can put it in the “Media” folder in the 200TB folder on the server. Is this the best way to do this or is there a way to have this handled automatically or have the 16TB of SSD act as a “Cache” or speed boost for storage retrieval?

What motherboard? How much RAM?
What network speed between HL15 and client(s)?
How is the 200TB configured (disks, raid level, vdevs)
Which video editor software?

The biggest factor in remote video editing is probably the network speed.
I don’t think the “full build” HL15 supports a 4x m.2 card. At least the manual does not indicate a x4x4x4x4 bifurcation option needed for it.

Hi @Joshua,
I’m not sure you are going to find a 1 step solution.
My concern here would be what I call “server creep” - (buy or build a server for a set purpose). For example a full build HL15 makes a great storage server or NAS. The creep happens when we try to expand what that box can do.

In my experience, I would want a high core multi threaded CPU with lots of memory or a GPU for rendering video edits.

I would also be concerned about work flow ( move original footage to storage pool, then have a copy to be worked on elsewhere) I wouldn’t be willing to use a RAID 0 pool to work on footage that isn’t archived somewhere else.

With a full build HL15 and a 6 core (no hyperthread) cpu I am not sure that a RAID 0 NVME pool would see much benefit. I haven’t used RAID 0 in over 20 years. It used to be good for rendering and scratch disks when redundancy wasn’t needed.

Take a look at this from 45Drives:

@Hutch-45Drives goes over performance from a stock HL15 full build for video editing solutions. To get full benefit out of locally connected workstations, you would need a 10Gb network.

Another use for an NVME drive array (but not RAID 0) would be to add the metadata and small files (pictures, titles, graphics, but not the actual video files or even audio files if they are seperate). This would help lag if navigating resources over a network.

Give us some more info on your current setup and what you think your workflow will be.

1 Like