Full Build CPU replacement?

Hi, wondering if the Motherboard in the Full Build can have the CPU upgraded to Intel Xeon Platinum 8259CL without any issue? Socket is the same, CPU is 210W. On Supermicro, the Board specs says CPU up to 205W. Will that work anyway?

The motherboard - say the one with the SFP+ - stated:
12nd Gen Intel® Xeon® Scalable Processors and Intel® Xeon® Scalable Processors, Single Socket LGA-3647 (Socket P) supported, CPU TDP supports Up to 205W TDP

Doing a search for “ 12nd Gen Intel® Xeon® Scalable Processors”. This page came back as a result.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/series/192283/2nd-generation-intel-xeon-scalable-processors.html

I found only 1 CPU that was greater than > 205

1 Like

Hi @pducharme, I wouldn’t recommend putting a CPU that has a higher 205W TDP in the motherboard. I don’t think this would hurt the motherboard but it may cause the system to be unstable and crash under higher loads when the CPU is demanding more power than what the motherboard can give it

Good Point. I saw some Platinum 8272CL at 195W TDP too. Wondering if they would work. I’ll probably try the one included, but can’t seem to find the details on What it is? (GOLD or Bronze, and which one!)

@pducharme

The full build included processor is a Xeon 3204. ( a second Gen Bronze)

See this intel site for model number codes:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000059657/processors/intel-xeon-processors.html

I just ordered a 150 W 32 thread 3.2GHz boost CPU from this eBay seller (Intel Xeon Gold 6142 2.60GHz 16-Core 22MB LGA-3647 Server Processor SR3AY 150W | eBay) for $77. I might need to upgrade the cooler I’ll let you know how it goes! The 6 core 3204 was a bottleneck as I run engineering simulations for my small business on my server CPU. I am looking forward to Threadripper 2950X type performance out of my HL15 for simulation workloads.

1 Like

I believe the stock cooler is rated at 205 watts, so you should be okay.

It wasn’t quite okay, thermal throttling (with a very loud and un-dismissable critical temperature alarm from the motherboard) until I balanced a fan on top of the heatsink. That led me down to order a Noctua NH-D9 4U cooler. It runs a whole lot quieter and cooler now.

Thanks for the update. I am heading down the same path and might need to replace the CPU cooler.