FAQ for the 45HomeLab HL15

You need something like this:

In the HL15 there’s a PCB mounted behind the PSU, and it requires four molex power inputs.

You also need to ensure your PSU can provide at least 20A of power on its 12V rail.

Thanks, what is this called? I am not seeing it when searching “4 pin molex to SATA”.

I am using the Be Quiet Dark Power 13 750w, but I am not sure of the amps on the 12V rails

edit: actually I am seeing 30, 30, 35, 35 for the 4 different 12V rails (at least on the 850W version)

It looks like Be Quiet refers to them as PATA, but doesn’t sell a 4-way cable themselves, they only do a combination cable which you can see here -

You can usually get ones which go from a port on a modular power supply, but you will need to validate the pinouts for the PSU against whatever cable you buy.

With the above being all black it’s unhelpful, this is what they can look like:

Worst case, if you don’t appropriately validate pinouts, you might find the combination of a third party cable against your PSU connects +12VDC to a device expecting +5VDC. That will likely fry it.

Above, as a colored picture, this is what you’re going to see on the HL15 HDD Power PCB, it expects four inputs (like pictured) and your PSU needs to have one or more cables like I showed above.

There are manufacturers like CableMod who help you out by selling “for BeQuiet”, like here -

https://cablemod.com/products/?filter_series=b-series

Edit: For a Dark Power 13 750W it looks like CableMod pushes you to their custom configurator -

https://store.cablemod.com/configurator/?service=direct&psu_brand=bequiet&psu_model=630

Thanks! I see a Be Quiet Dark Power 13 quad Molex custom cable from cablemod for ~$15. Perfect.

edit: is there a recommended length? In the HL15 pics it looks like the backplane power is only a few inches from the PSU. This is the shortest the CableMod configurator allows, but that still seems long. I am also afraid of making the distance between the molex cables 50mm instead of 100mm

edit 2: I guess ~6in from the PSU to the first molex is not a big deal and should work.

1 Like

It’s not immediately clear to me that all Be Quiet pinouts are the same, you might want to email them and check, or use the custom configurator to guarantee compatibility.

Other manufacturers like Corsair have changed their pinouts between series or models which is exceedingly frustrating and makes me constantly a bit paranoid. :frowning:

I edited my comment above. This was specifically for the Dark Power 13 750w.

I’d guess 50mm between connectors will be fine, the HDD Power PCB has them very closely stacked.

In another thread we worked out from the rear edge of the HL15 to the PCB was 200mm exactly and a lot of these PSUs are about 140-160mm deep. So, you’re within 40-60mm of the modular ports on your power supply and just need to go a short way.

1 Like

Hey Hutch!

I understand that the party line is that the chassis only supports an ATX board (standardized at 12x9.6 but no hard measurements have been confirmed for this case as far as I can tell), however, I noticed in some of the content creator videos you guys sponsored that there is some additional space between the second set of fans and the motherboard. Wondering if I can get some measurements for maximum board size that will fit in there. I understand that the company will only guarantee that 12x9.6 will fit and that I’m taking my life into my own hands if I deviate from that, just trying to see if it’s worth putting in an order before I roll the dice on it.

Motivated to forklift my homelab and I’d like to stuff these into this chassis if it’s at all feasible…

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/h13ssl-n

They are “ATX” but 12x10.1. Half an inch deeper than ATX typically is.

From looking at the 3D models of the HL15 this seems like it should be fine, and I’ve got three H13SSL-N inbound on that assumption :joy: Hopefully Hutch doesn’t say “Nooooooooope”.

1 Like

Hi All,

The absolute max would be 10.5"X13". If you have a thicker none conventional PSU the 13" height may be smaller

1 Like

Any chance you can confirm the max gpu size… 8.5" seems wrong considering an ATX motherboard is 9.6"

They may have left buffer room for cabling. Enterprise GPUs frequently have the power hanging off the back of the card.

The total from the rear of the chassis to the middle fans is 10.5" so long as your GPU is not longer than that it will fit.

@LostFate makes a good point. If your power comes off the rear of the card you will not be able to fit a 10.5" card but if it comes off the side like a gaming GPU you should be fine.

Worse case you could get a low-profile fan and swap it out for the fans on the second row to give some extra clearance.

2 Likes

or a 90-degree adapter to re-route cable to the top :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why use molex for the backplane power? is there a specific reason you guys chose molex over just using the PCIe power connector or the SATA power connectors? (I believe no on SATA connector due to melting risk i would assume)

2 Likes