Max RAM for Full HL15 Build

I have a full HL15 build on order and I’m collecting parts, patiently awaiting its arrival. I would like to max out the RAM (merry Christmas to me!) but am struggling to understand the appropriate specs of the RAM sticks to order.

Ideally, I want to put a total of 1TB of RAM in but am getting confused because according to the spec sheets, 45Drives used 3200MHz memory but the processor and motherboard don’t support that high of a speed? I’m definitely missing something here…

Processor Memory Spec
Intel Xeon Bronze 3204 - 1TB of DDR4-2133

Motherboard Memory Spec
Supermicro X11SPH-nCTPF - Up to 2TB 3DS ECC RDIMM, DDR4-2933MHz; Up to 2TB 3DS ECC LRDIMM, DDR4-2933MHz, in 8 DIMM slots

45Drives Supplied Memory
2x - Micron 1x 16GB DDR4-3200 RDIMM PC4-25600R Dual Rank x8 Module

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

I have been doing the same research. I asked the same question and the RAM within the 45homelab store will work, but the CPU will be limited the speed of the RAM.

I have had good success getting memory from “memory.net”. I have two older Supermicro chasis/motherboard units that I acquired from eBay. The vendor gives a good warranty (lifetime). I purchased 1 TB and 768 GB for these two servers. These units are working well for the last 24 months (as the servers are usually on 24/7).

As I have been watching the price for the 64 GB and 128 GB per stick, the total cost has caused to prioritize some other purchases.

The 45Homelab memory is good as well. I am sharing my experience as I got these two servers back in 2020 and 2021 (pre-45homeline era).

Hope this helps you…

3 Likes

@pcHome is correct. Lowest common denominator wins. DDR4-3200 is fine, but unnecessary in this particular case as neither the CPU nor the motherboard support those speeds.

I picked up 4x 16GB Micron DDR4-3200AA 2Rx8 ECC RDIMMs for $25 ea. on eBay. Works fine. I didn’t bother to look up the CPU or motherboard specs, I just matched what was sent with the system. :smiley:

If I were to max the system out, I might pick a slower speed to potentially reduce cost and be in line with the system’s limitations. But no matter what, the higher-capacity modules will be more expensive.

128GB modules seem to run for ~$400/ea. on eBay.

1 Like