Disappointing Unboxing

I was so excited to receive my HL15 today few days early no less.

Unfortunately that’s where the excitement ended I purchased HL15 fully spec’d by the 45 drives team since I didn’t want to spend time tinkering with another server in my homelab and it would be properly tested and assembled.

I found several screws loose that keep the motherboard attached and whoever assembled the machine didn’t bother resetting it after realizing they didn’t insert IO shield prior to half installing the motherboard but instead just slammed it in from the outside half bent and loose.

This level of carelessness makes me wonder what else could be wrong. I was so annoyed I decided to wait installing it so I can check the assembly.

I know the team is busy and trying to get these out before Christmas, but damn.

3 Likes

Hi @myusuf3,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I’m sorry to read about your overall experience with your unboxing, and the disappointment that you felt. That is certainly not up to our quality standards either and I would like to apologize on behalf of the whole team.

Please know that I have escalated this issue to our quality team, and will ensure that the right corrective measures are in place so this does not occur again. I have also sent you an email with further instructions on the next steps.

Thank you,

Mine shipped today :partying_face: hopefully it won’t have the same QC issue! Supposed to arrive Thursday. That is good news since the date I was sent was January 4.

My date was Dec 18, and I didn’t get any shipping updates yet. :frowning:

1 Like

Is is at full build? mine is.

Hey @balika011 — just wanted to chime in here! My colleague @Vikram-45Drives has sent along your tracking information by email. Your order has been shipped. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mine came in pristine… The only thing I will mention on my full build system is that the add on card was not installed. After a second of scratching my head I realized that they probably wanted to give me the opportuning to choose which slot to install it in.

1 Like

It indeed was and have spent over 5 hours checking everything and found a couple of loose cables last night and the ipmi sticker no where to be found. So I am now reaching out to the team again. Very disappointing.

1 Like

Received mine. Everything looks ok. No issues for me. I’m upgrading BMC Firmware + BIOS. I would have thought it would be Up-To-Date, but that is easy to do.

1 Like

spoked too soon. I removed the CPU using the 4 screws (in the order written, 4-3-2-1) and removed the heatsink. The CPU is still under the heatsink (i haven’t) touch it yet. But looking at it, it seems it was damaged at the installation.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0acX_M8oqmknp8-pxd7mQmaIQ

1 Like

Uff. Btw the iCloud link is sharing your full name.

1 Like

That’s OK, I don’t mind.

Hi @pducharme,

I am disappointed to learn that you may also be experiencing an issue with your HL15. I would like to apologize on behalf of the whole team. Please know that we take quality issues very seriously, and I have already escalated this to the quality department. We do not want any of our customers to receive a unit that does not meet our quality standards.

I would request that you send me an email at info@45homelab.com with a few pictures of the damage so that I can add this to the escalation. Once I hear back from them, I will get back to you.

@myusuf3 I know you had spoken with someone from our senior management team yesterday. I am awaiting an update from him. I will continue communication with you through our original email chain.

Thank you,

1 Like

Hi @Vikram-45Drives @Hutch-45Drives, I just sent an email to info@45homelab.com with the details. I wonder if the damage could have happened on assembly line (?) or if you get the boards with pre-installed CPU, maybe at Supermicro factory (?).

In any case, I would appreciate a replacement CPU (I also asked a question about that in my email).

Thank you,

This image is going to haunt my dreams.

1 Like

They reached out with a prepaid label to return the CPU. Still waiting from @Vikram-45Drives to see how to proceed. I would prefer they send the new one first because I still use the one damaged (hopefully it won’t broke down).

2 Likes

Hi @pducharme,

I totally agree with you, I will be sending you an email shortly with further details.

Thank you,

1 Like

It just arrived and over all I’m pretty happy with it, specially that it arrived still in 2023.
The extra $250 that i had to pay as import tax did hurt a little bit, specially that it had to be paid in cash and they didn’t give a heads up of the amount or that it can’t paid with credit card, because FedEx… Usually they send an invoice 2-3 months after the package arrived, not this time however.

What I’m sad about is mine arrived with the bottom side (when rack mounted) all scratched up. All other sides looks nice. Nothing bent or loose. All screws seems snug.

The package had no visible damage. There was no plastic wrap on the case, only the black foam around it and the sealed cardboard box on top with the rack mount ears and screws in it.

EDIT: The tape with 45HomeLab text along the box seams were intact.

I don’t want to downplay this, as it certainly is frustrating to receive something you feel was poorly handled or that didn’t meet your expectations. If you’re planning to rackmount this, it will quickly become a non-issue as servers tend to scratch up quite a fair amount on the tops and bottoms when rackmounted. Of the 7 various servers I have at home (including the HL15) and the 200+ I’ve personally racked/un-racked over the years, not a single one has gone unscathed. Heck, I’ve gotten some straight from Dell and HPE that looked used lol.

What you could do is try taking a piece of Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (melamine foam) and give it a little bit of a buffing.

2 Likes

You are right. It really doesn’t matter. If it was $50 if wouldn’t give that a second thought. However for over $1000 (with import tax included) you do give that a second thought. Am I going to use it? Yes. Will I post my mods? Definitely yes. (I need to replace the psu holder 3d printed plastic, since the one included too short, also going to add pwm to the fans)

They also made a funny mistake: There is a typo on the box in my name, then they put a sticker over it. There should be a “z” after the “s” that’s under that yellow sticker. The shipping label has it correctly. Ok, it’s more likely to be fedex who put that sticker there, but a funny coincidence.

2 Likes